Sunday, May 24, 2020

Book Review: Behind Blue Eyes by Anna Mocikat



     What if for as long as you could remember you were a cyborg whose one mission was to do anything you could to preserve the corporation? The corporation of Olympia was founded after the Great War and is one of three. The ideology is a perfect world where anyone can be anything and everyone has upgrades. Nephilim is the enforcer and protector of this ideology, and is one of the best Angels Olympia has to offer. That is until doubt is planted in her mind and flaws become apparent in the system. The question is: How far can and will one cyborg go to be free? What truly lies behind her blue eyes?
      I received this book as an ARC from the author, Anna, and later purchased it upon release. The book is amazing enough that I needed it in my collection, even if I already had a PDF copy. I just finished the book and although I have other books vying for my attention I need to take the rest of the night off to recuperate from the loss of some characters that I have grown to love over the last several days. I hope you understand.
     I initially read Anna's book Shadow City in February and after posting my review she asked if I would be willing to read and review this book as well. Of course, I was thrilled and told her yes immediately. While my following and book lists have increased significantly since then, my prior commitment stood and I had been waiting on pins and needles for her next book. The wait was not in vain and I already crave more from her. In fact, the first thing I did once the book was finished was to send her a message stating: "I have a problem. I have no more book. :(" This is true and it is a problem, a problem readers know all too well when they have a book that they truly enjoy.
      This book is more than a dystopian novel with cyberpunk and discovering your path. This book is about love, loss, betrayal, seeing yourself as you never could have otherwise. Within these pages you find yourself relating to the characters even though you have no basis for this as we do not live within these corporations rule. You are still there with Nephilim, Jake, Adriel, Metatron, and the others as life within the corporation unfolds.
     I am so glad to know that my favorite character did as I expected. I will not give it away for you lovely readers, but just know that some things are worth dying for. The fact that she gave the name Metatron, who is the book-keeper or the keeper of knowledge, to this individual is amazing and I love the amount of research that had to have gone into the naming of each of the Angels. The Angels are amazing, but there is more than you can possibly imagine behind their blue eyes. And once you are in there is no turning your back. Be prepared for what awaits you in Behind Blue Eyes.
     This book is available on Amazon for $2.99 or Kindle Unlimited at https://amzn.to/36of1DJ. Also, please do not hesitate to check out Anna's site at annamocikat.com.
    Update: Book two, Fallen Angels, will be released on March 24, 2021. I was lucky enough to receive an Advance Reader's Copy and have since posted a review of it. This review can be viewed by clicking here.

Books by this author: 








Nephilim Volume 1



No comments:

Post a Comment