Saturday, March 28, 2020

Book Review: Set Free by Anthony Bidulka

Amazon.com: Set Free (9780995229211): Anthony Bidulka: Books     Jasper was an award winning author and had everything a man could ask for. He had a beautiful wife whom he loved, he had an amazing daughter, and he was able to stay at home to focus on his writing career. What more could a man want? That is until one night when he and his wife were out late and his daughter didn't come home. She had been kidnapped.
     As if that was not bad enough months later he went on a trip to Africa in order to clear his mind and do his best to get back some semblance of normal after all they had gone through. Once again his life took a turn when he was captured and sent through hell. The question is, could he come out of this alive as well?
     First off I want to start by saying that I both love and hate this author now. Not for any bad reasons of course. When I actually began to focus on this book, which I hate to admit was today, I found I couldn't put it down. I was just under halfway through it when I truly began to read it today (at 6 PM) and now (at 11:30 PM) the book is finished.
     Now for the reasons I hate him. He managed to draw me into the story so thoroughly that when something in my perspective changed I felt as betrayed as the characters in the book. I felt pushed through every emotion and I never suspected the truth. Now that it is finished it seems so obvious. But he hid his intentions for this book so well. I will not give anything away, but the fact that he knows what he did at the end to the point he writes out the questions without answering them makes me want to scream in frustration.
      Now that I have ranted my fill on what has displeased me let's focus on the positives, shall we? This book has everything that one could need. It is raw and real. It is something that could easily happen to someone and the emotion leaks out of every page. You don't find yourself getting bored part of the way through because you know what is happening. Instead you are so totally absorbed in the book that even after having only read it for a few minutes reality begins to fade and you have only this book. Only know what is going on in front of you. The words blurring from written descriptions to a movie that is playing in your head.
     Now. Since I have said that I will say something else. Everyone needs to read this book. While they need to read this book I truly hope that it is never made into a movie or any kind of screenplay. I mean that in the best way possible. The only thing a movie or screenplay of this would do is tarnish what it is. There is no way that a movie would be able to so thoroughly drag you in and not let you up. I hope you understand.
This book is available on Amazon for Kindle Unlimited at https://amzn.to/36e2qTf or buy it for $5.99.

2 comments:

  1. "He managed to draw me into the story so thoroughly that when something in my perspective changed I felt as betrayed as the characters in the book." He has a habit of doing that. And I still haven't forgotten that damn Sereena and the disappearing act she pulled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was Sereena from another of his books? This is the only one of his I have read so far.

      Delete