Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Book Review: Heart of the Goblin King by Lisa Manifold (The Realm Book 1)

Heart Of The Goblin King (The Realm Trilogy Book 1) by [Lisa Manifold]     Brennan has always had to keep a tight reign on his emotions. When you are a Fae if you don't terrible things could happen, like the loss of life. It is best to not have strong emotions for others. And it was easy, especially with an arranged marriage planned for him in the future. Until he and his brother, Drake, were sent into the Human Realm and came face to face with Iris. She stirs so many feelings in him. Her ire sparking his own, but her strong emotions that she readily accepts may lead to disaster. 

    I got this book from BookBub in 2017 because my favorite movie is Labyrinth. Who doesn't love David Bowe? So I got a book about a Goblin King. There was even some talk of goblins taking babies that were wished away. Minor part, but it was like a tip of the hat to Labyrinth so I loved that part. 

    A feisty romance with goblins, dragons, and the Fae. What could go wrong? I really liked some parts of this book and was a bit bored by others. For instance, at the beginning of the book Brennan talks about how his mother never shows great emotion then for the rest of the book she is headstrong and overly emotional. Then the "who did it" was so overly obvious. There was no shock factor in the book at all. Everything went just as expected. 

    But, I can't say I didn't enjoy this book at all. For the most part I did enjoy it. The world was well built. Some aspects of the Fae were as they always are while others were different. Nothing wrong there. There was enough going on to keep your interest. Iris was feisty and spoke her mind, which made her my favorite character in the book. Drake was a jokester who was fiercely protective. I hope that he gets his own mate in future books, although I do hope that it isn't the girl he likes in this book. She is awful. 

    This is a clean romance with no sex in it, but there is cursing. Seems like a good enough trade. I enjoy both, but the story did well without it and have a feeling it will be portrayed in future books if the same characters remain. 

    This book is available on Amazon for $3.99 by clicking hereThis is available on Kindle Unlimited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment