Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Book Review: Digging the Wolf by Steffanie Holmes (Wolves of Crookshollow Book 1)

Digging the Wolf: a paranormal romance (Wolves of Crookshollow Book 1) by [Steffanie Holmes]     It seems all Anna has been trying to do since she came of age was to escape Crookshollow, but something always kept her here. Her mother needing her after her father died so she stayed at university close to home. Her mother again when her boyfriend died. And now she was convinced by a professor to trade places with another girl for her archeological dig in Sicily to stay 20 miles from home at a cave in the woods. She couldn't catch a break. Now, there is a new Park Ranger who is breathing down their necks about safety regulations. A big, sexy park ranger. Too bad he is as much of an "arse" as he is hot. But, the unfollowed safety regulations are the least of this expeditions issues as werewolves fight for control of the caves. 

    I impulse bought this book on BookBub in 2018 because I have a huge soft spot for paranormal romances. Anyone who has been reading my reviews for a while knows this. They are my go to. When in doubt find something with a big, sexy man. Preferably one who is possessive and turns into an animal. It has seemed to work well for me time and again. Can't say I am disappointed with this book, either. I will let you know that this book is very British. Nothing wrong with that, at all, but I had to look up some words from time to time. And the spelling of some words is so odd to me since we use z's in certain words where they use s, such as visualise. 

    I seem to be on an unintentional foreign book reading binge and am curious how long it will last for. This book, the last book, and one of the books I am currently reading are all set in different countries. Interesting how other areas live. Back to the book. Luke is tall, dark, and sexy. I mean who doesn't love a tall possessive man who gets a little hairy? Yes, I am personally thinking of my husband when I write this, but lots of girls have similar fantasies and tastes in men. Luke is just a little messed up, but not enough where he is "damaged goods" he just needs a little TLC. Then there are the other wolves. I really really don't want to like Caleb, but I think that is more of a personal vendetta against gingers than anything else. Well, male gingers. I won't give away who the third wolf is, although it is painfully obvious throughout most of the book. 

    On to the only bad things I have to say about the book. One of them I listed above. The third wolf. I mean come on. It wasn't even well hidden. No big shock factor there. And I don't suspect we have seen the last of him by this author. The other thing was the sex scenes. I love a good sex scene as much as the next girl, but after a few pages of one sex scene it gets a little boring and I start skimming. Skimmed more than once in this book, that is for sure. No matter how good the sex is it really doesn't need to be described for so long. Also, what is up with the bracelet? It seems to be such a big part and then nothing. Just annoying. 

    This book is good, though. Full of nerdy references, archeology, and the paranormal there is something here for everyone. My favorite character in this book is Luke. Yes, he comes off as a bit of an ass, but most everyone has the ability to be such. Besides, the best men are generally assholes at least part of the time. Where is the fun if they don't give as good as they get?

    This book is available on Amazon for free by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment