Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Book Review: After the Cure by Deirdre Gould (After the Cure Book 1)

After the Cure by [Deirdre Gould]     Eight years ago saw the beginning of the December Plague. A disease that started as an attempt to alleviate mental illness instead turned many of the population into cannibalistic zombies. For two years the immunes battled for survival against the infected until a cure was discovered. With the cure being provided to the infected the world must come to terms with the things they have done. The Cured, as the previous zombies are now referred, remember everything they did and what is left of the world wishes they could forget their deeds. Now it is time to seek justice against those that caused the infection in the first place. Dr. Rider and Lawyer Frank must work together to make sure a more potent strain isn't released to the masses. But can one Cured and one Immune really stop something to which there will never be a cure?

    I got this book for free on Amazon in 2017. It just sat unread for a long time, but with the pandemic going on in the world I thought it might be a good time to start it. This book is as if someone discovered that all of the zombies in the walking dead were just sick people then Rick and everyone else had to deal with their actions. It would be very traumatic and I can tell why there was such a high suicide rate. That being said I really enjoyed this book and I wondered if they would be able to stop the contamination before release. 

    In an odd turn of events I actually got Covid while reading this book. My vaccinated mother in law came to my house last Saturday and ended up giving it to me. It honestly isn't that bad. Headache that doesn't want to go away and some dizziness. Nothing major. Back to the book. Zombies able to be cured with all their memories of the events that happened isn't something that you see very often. In fact, it is the first time that I have read a book with this concept and it is always great to find uncharted territory. Not really something that happens very often, especially when you read as many books as I do. 

    I liked the characters in this book and I find it hard to pinpoint one that was my favorite.  I wasn't a fan of Dr. Carton, Dr. Schneider, or especially Dr. Pazzo. I suppose that is to be expected considering who they are and what they did. I don't think Dr. Carton's end was befitting, but otherwise I am pleased with the result. There is one thing that really bothered me during this book and it only happened at the end. Where the new strain was hidden. It was so painfully obvious and it wasn't even considered for so many pages. It was disappointing to say the least. Otherwise I really enjoyed this book and hope you enjoy it as well. 

    An original and new take on zombie books that is worth the read. This book is available on Amazon for free by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment