Saturday, July 10, 2021

Book Review: The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

 The Darkest Part of the Forest by [Holly Black]    Hazel and her brother Ben grew up in the small town of Fairfold. This quaint town borders a forest filled with the fae and brings in tourists. While their magic may seem harmless it is anything but, as the folk of Fairfold know only too well. At the heart of it all is the horned boy, a fae who is in a glass coffin in the woods where he has resided for as long as anyone can remember. No one ever thought he would wake up, until one day he did. Now Hazel and Ben must once more become the Fae hunting knights of their childhood in order to track down "their" prince since a new horror is hurting more than just the tourists who make a silly bargain. With new love, loss, regret and well kept secrets is it possible two teenagers will be able to save Fairfold? 

    I downloaded this audiobook on a whim from the Libby app because I liked the cover. I did not bother to read the synopsis of the book, and while this has often gotten me into trouble in the past I lucked out this time. 

    Every child who has it rough wants to escape it all and be able to protect themselves. Some pretend to be knights, imagining wonderous worlds where they are the heroes. Those same children may make bargains to help someone they care about no matter the consequences just so they can still be knights. But Fairy bargains come at a price. 

    When I started this book I immediately loved the main character's name, Hazel, as that is my daughter's name as well. But, I didn't initially like Hazel. She seemed a shallow, boy crazy child with no great intent. However, as the story progressed I found myself relating to her frequently. Childhoods with a certain type of parent can be tough and siblings become the center of your universe. Then you do your best to keep things from them so that they don't get hurt worse than your parents already do. You lose yourself in meaningless instances or, in my case, you cling to every trace of affection shown. I hate that Hazel grew up like this, because it makes you grow up much too fast. 

    This is a great book with relatable characters, if you ignore the first chapter or so. I love how the book ended and feel that everything was wrapped up nicely with a pretty little bow on top. Now, if that bow belongs to Hazel or Ben is another matter entirely. I think they both got exactly what they needed in the end. 

    This book is available on Amazon for $10.99 by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment