Sunday, June 27, 2021

Book Review: Bullets and Bones by R. S. Penney (Desa Kincaid Book 2)

Bullets And Bones: A Sci-Fi Western (Desa Kincaid Book 2) by [R.S. Penney]     With Adele on the loose Desa and her group will stop at nothing to stop her from taking over the world using the power of the Nether. Even if that means killing someone Desa once loved in the process or even chasing down an old fairytale to a "cursed" land. Adele is not going to make their journey an easy one, however, as she will throw everything she can at this bunch in an attempt to kill Desa and end the threat to her forever. Just how far are Desa, Tommy, Miri, Marcus, and Kalia willing to go to rid the world of evil? Will they survive long enough to complete their newest mission? 

    Desa, born in Aladar, is a Field Binder. This means she can bend the Ether to form certain tools which make life, and combat, much easier. Field Binding is a closely guarded secret of Aladar, so when the Prelate learns that Desa has been sharing their knowledge with the simpleton country folk outside the city she must be punished. Tommy, Desa's apprentice, is proving himself to be very adept in the arts of Field Binding now that he is able to commune with the Ether and has even been given permission to study the texts of Aladar at the Library. Here he meets Dalen and develops a crush. Now he is stuck between caring for Miri and Dalen. But, the biggest development is when he finds just what can destroy the beast taking up space in Adele. Too bad it is only a folklore item, but a small chance is better than none. Now to travel to a cursed land and hope for the best...

    I tried very hard not to divulge more in this summary of events than what the actual synopsis of the book covered. I will state that I was approached to read and provide an honest review of this book and when I agreed to read it I did not know it was book 2 in a series. I have not read book one. That being said, the author provides enough information to determine most of what happened in the first book so that you are not left feeling like you are in uncharted waters. There are a few minor details that I am not sure what happened, but I can live with that. There is action, love, and a lot of attempted murder in this book. Where everyone was loyal had me guessing until the end, which is always a lot of fun. 

    Now then, with all of those positives about the book I have a very big glaring negative. I will state that this negative may be due to the copy of the eBook I received in exchange for the review. I have no way of knowing if it is or not, so please let me know if the actual copies of the book do this if you decide to get it. The book will jump from one point of view to another from one paragraph to the next without any kind of separation. More than once I found myself going back and rereading sections because I thought I had zoned out and missed details. Instead I had just jumped from Desa to Tommy or some other characters. It was quite annoying. That is the only real negative I have to say about this book. 

This book is available on Amazon for $2.99 by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment