Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Book Review: Nightmare at Horror High by Luke Klein


     Elliott has been forced by his parents to leave the only home he has ever known in order to move to Utah. The schools architecture belongs in the Gothic era, the jocks love to era him up, his teacher hates him, and the girl he crushes on is dating one of his bullies. But, can he and the two other misfits he has banded together with help change their futures?
     This will be my first truly negative book review; so if you do not wish to read it stop now. I have never not finished a book; but there has never been a book I wanted to complete less than this one.
     I am on Twitter and was approached by Booktasters to begin doing reviews for them. My first choice was this book. I get the book and within the first few chapters I know everything that I need to know. This same chapter is then used later verbatim.
     Unfortunately, this was not just a case of not caring for a book as it was painful for me to read and I will be being deleting my electronic copy soon. There were so many grammatical errors. There were even run on sentences that made me feel like I was losing brain cells. Such as "We went down the stairs to the very long ways aways away, way down, down, down the very long flight of stairs and into the basement, and I couldn't believe my eyes; white shaggy carpet, a humidified wine cellar, a home theater at one end, a pool table at the other, a bar to the side, pinball machines, arcades, video games, darts, chess, loveseats, couches, poker, ping-pong, beer-pong, and a library-study in the corner, filled with expensive glass-encased antique books."
     That being said, it is not that there is no hope for the book. It just needs a lot of help. If the first part where it gives everything away was completely removed and a very thorough grammatical check was completed it would be a decent book and possibly enjoyable. It has the potential to be enjoyed but not as it is. For now those reading it would likely put it down at chapter three, which is where I wish I had stopped reading, and I can't say I would blame them.
     This book is available on Amazon for $4.99 at https://amzn.to/2WHiaek.

No comments:

Post a Comment