Sunday, July 24, 2022

Book Review: Murder at Sunrise Lake by Christine Feehan


     Stella has been tormented by dreams of murders since she was 4 years old. "Mommy, Daddy is doing the bad thing again." These words will haunt her nightmares each time she helplessly watches the deaths. This time, however, she doesn't want to run. Stella loves her home in the Sierra Nevada's and doesn't want to leave because someone found out who she was. With the help of her friends, and her sexy second in command, Sam, she wants to save as many people in her home as possible. 

    This book as an impulse download from the Libby app as I didn't have any requested review audiobooks at the time and I love Christine Feehan. One of my previous best friends turned me onto her years ago and my love of that author lasted longer than that friendship. I have read a multiple books across a variety of series by her, but this one was new for me. 

    In the other books I have read by her they are basically smut with a plot. The Ghostwalkers series, Leopard, and the Carpathians. I love them for this reason, but this was a change of pace. There was it's fair share of sexy scenes, but the plot was a much larger part in it than the sex was. In fact, the sex scenes were largely glossed over in this book. This was more of a murder mystery book by an amazing author who knows how to put you into a scene. 

    I will admit that I had an idea who the killer was all along, but the author did a great job of casting doubt. Stella was wonderful and I couldn't imagine going through what she had to go through. Not only with her father, but also with her mother. I truly hope that this book becomes a series. Feehan is big on series, so I don't think it will be a problem, but you never know. For now this book can be read as a stand-alone. Most things are tied with a bow, other than Sam's father. 

    My favorite character in this book was Rena (?) and I want to know more about her history with the underboss. I am sure there are some spicy details in that history. Now, I don't know for sure that they have a history, mind you, but the suggestions are there and it would be a wonderful jumping off point into the next in the series. Can't wait to see what she does!

    I have read a lot of other reviews on this book and a lot of people are complaining about the lack of sexual content in this book. It isn't what we typically expect from Feehan. I will give you that. It's not. BUT. Authors are allowed to try new things. They are allowed to write the story as it wants to be told. Not stay within the confines of books they have previously written. While this book has a military man in it, a couple of them in fact, it is NOT a rip off of the Ghostwalkers. There is no lab experiments gone wrong-or in that case right. It is a murder mystery with a dash of contemporary romance. If you don't like it read some of her smut. I know the ones I mentioned earlier are full of it. 

    This book is available on Amazon for $8.99 by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment