Friday, March 11, 2022

Book Review: The Chosen One by Emma Knight (Vampires of the Underworld Book 1)


     One minute Melina is a surgeon blowing off steam with her friend in a club. The next she is witnessing a murder and on the run from a crime boss with the help of witness protection. Things seem like they can't get worse until her entire team of protectors is killed and she is kidnapped. Melina is taken who knows where with 11 other women and told they are a vessel. Some of these women seem to know what is going on a bit more, while most just seem scared. Can Melina get out of this as it is all just a case of mistaken identity or will she be trapped at the whims of Roman? 

    I read this book on the Libby app because I wanted a short audiobook while I was cleaning last Sunday and this fit my desires. So I thought. Paranormal romance is always a default of mine. I have to say this book isn't what I was expecting. I was expecting the traditional paranormal romance. Instead we have a male that fucks everything and even has his own harem that makes 12 women vie for his attention in order to become his queen and basically a brood mare. Serious gag factor. He doesn't want a wife. He doesn't care about a wife. He must have a wife in order to secure his throne. So on we bring the vessels, women who have been bred through generations to be able to breed with vampires. Guess what? Still gagging. His entire intention after he marries her is to impregnate her as quickly as possible then not have to deal with her again. Literally not kidding. Like at all. He also has zero intention of being faithful but hell hath no fury if she ever sleeps with another man. More gagging. 

    Genuinely I read romances and expect...well romance. Instead I am presented with a chauvinist  douchecanoe whose "vessels" are not allowed to have sex with anyone before he meets them and if he chooses them they cannot have sex with anyone else after. But he can fuck anything he likes whenever he likes. Because who cares what he does. I don't like harem books. I am a very monogamous person and things like this simply don't do it for me. Towards the end of the book there seems like there may be hope for Roman as he begins losing interest in other women, but I was so over him by that point I doubt it. 

    Then there is Melina. She is 100% about escape and saving people then he kisses her and she melts. No more fighting. No running away. Just okay. Yup, you kissed me once and now I am a pliant little flower. Then when everything comes to a boil in the book and Melina is taken from Roman he doesn't lash out at her when she is returned. Doesn't question her. Nothing. Nope, because she's a good little pliant flower and "didn't have to come back". 

    There are more books in this series, but I won't be touching them. If you want a paranormal stockholm syndrome you go for it. Otherwise look elsewhere. 

    This book is available on Amazon for $0.99 by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment