Sunday, January 9, 2022

Book Review: Highland Flame by Mary Wine (Highland Weddings Book 4)


    Jane was the fourth daughter of an English Noble. So, to say her marriage prospects were limited was putting it lightly. However, she was married to a travelling wine salesman who was killed in Scotland when he couldn't pay her gambling debts. The inn owner stripped her down to her chemise and sent her out into the cold when she refused to pay her husband's debts bodily. Jane, intent on walking back to her fathers in England set off. Only to be rescued by Laird Gordan. He is in need of a head of house and the attraction between them is instant. However, marriage wasn't pleasant for her the first time and the Laird wants the woman he is with to choose him. Can the pair find a middle ground or will she be married off to another poor match of her father's choosing come Spring? 
    I have been avoiding the audiobooks sent to me by authors recently as none of them are romances and sticking with Libby instead. Love the Libby app. It is amazing and I cannot sing it's praises loudly enough. 
    Highland romances have long been my favorite. Not sure why. Maybe I just have a type. Tall, broad males who are gruff and dominant...yum. Hell, I married one so I'd wager that suits me just fine. Ancestry is from Scotland too, although I can't picture my husband in a kilt. I actually mentioned it to him earlier and he told me he wouldn't be caught dead in a skirt. Of course I was amused. 
    On to the book. My favorite character in the book was the captain and I hope that he gets his own book later on. He was adorable and he needs a happily ever after. I will definitely read more by this author if I happen to stumble across them, but I don't know that I will actively seek them out. The book was by no means bad. I enjoyed it, even if I struggle with period pieces. I'm a very outspoken female, so the prim and proper women who are "yes, dear's" as my husband refers to them don't do it for me. I know it was the time and that was par for the course. I just like my women to have a bit more of a backbone. Jane grew well into her role after everything stopped being about religion for her. Which is good. I can't imagine living in that time frame. Would definitely been in trouble at all turns. 
    I have said it before and I will say it again. Highlanders are sexy. The accents. Their gruff and dominant nature is just yummy. And every woman who speaks her mind needs a man who can one up her and be in control as well. Takes a special kind of male to do that. To know when to stand behind his woman, when to stand in front, and when to stand beside. Every highlander book I have read checks all of these boxes and this one is no exception. I completely suggest this book. 
    Just a warning. This is Book 4 in a series. Did not know that until I just went to pull the information from Amazon. But, I enjoyed this book without prior knowledge of the others. So, you can read it as a stand-alone if that is your desire. I always love series that you have the option of only reading one in. Makes it more enjoyable. 
    Highland Flame is available on Amazon for $5.03 by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment