Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Book Review: Going Dark by Monica McCarty (The Lost Platoon Book 1)

 


    When Dan's platoon is blown up on a recon mission in Russia he and what is left of his squad must go underground in an attempt to find who betrayed them. While scouting for Russian subs in Scotland with a fake identity he finds himself with eco-terrorists. One of which is a leggy brunette, Annie. Annie had travelled to the western isles with her boyfriend she thought they were doing a sit in on the oil tanker she instead finds bombs. Telling the captain, Dan, they disable the attempted terrorists only to find themselves wanted for murder. With what remains of SEAL team 9's life on the line Dan has to escape scrutiny, however, he can't leave the beautiful little American with her life on the line. However, can he defy a direct order and deny their growing passion. 

    I read this book on the Libby app. This is a military romance with smut and nefarious plots. 

    When I started this book it was because I have always had a soft spot for military romances. I've dated a few military men and the smut that comes from military romances are amazing. That is until now. This book wasn't bad. I enjoyed the overall plot of the book, but I think I've outgrown them. Which is unfortunate. But c'est la vie. Let's focus on the positives since my negatives aren't against the book itself, more of a personal thing that I didn't realize before beginning. 

    Dan was a huge wall of muscle who fought against others feelings of military men being little more than a machine. I can't say I blame him. They're not and have to deal with a lot on a daily basis. Following orders in an attempt to keep those in the homeland safe doesn't make anyone in the military a machine. Then there is Annie. She is a sweet little beauty who had a bad experience with the military and now hopes to spend her future saving the world. In her own way. A safe way. Stopping oil spills and saving animals is her way. 

    I liked both characters and the smut was enjoyable. A bit back and forth, but I get it. This book does end on a cliffhanger. Some things were solved but the main issue was barely even addressed. Who betrayed them? Was there a betrayal at all? Who knows. The reader definitely doesn't. While I have to admit that I am curious what happened I don't think I will be reading any more of these. 

    This book is available on Amazon for $7.99 by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment