Monday, November 15, 2021

Book Review: Ajax's Harpy Holiday by Mychal Daniels (Dragofin Clan Mated Book 1)


     Hildy never had a real family. Orphaned all of her life she never knew anything other than bouncing from foster home to foster home. If that wasn't bad enough when she turned twelve she became defective. Being able to partially shift with wings and claws. But she became part of the agency and they her only family. They finished her studies and taught her to use her deformity for good. But, she still had no one to spend the holidays with. This year, however, she was going to have something special. A sweet potato pie. And as luck would have it there is one left at the supermarket when she arrives. That is until a brute of a man grabs it just as she is reaching for it. Now a battle for a pie is about to lead to something bigger. 

    I impulse bought this book off BookBub in June, 2017. As is common with my impulse buys I didn't read the synopsis. I did, however, like this book for the most part. 

    Hildy has a temper that runs very close to the surface and can't stand being touched. I get the not being touched thing. I can't either, unless it is by my husband or my kids. More than one person has about gotten punched for touching me when I wasn't expecting it. So, in a way I related to her. And even with her attitude issues I genuinely liked her. Until she made a comment about being restrained because she was black. It was obvious the situation had nothing to do with race and making it about that just made me lose all respect for the character. Then, when she matures she changes bodily...

    Then there is Ajax. She compared him to the household cleaner, but all my brain was thinking was deadpool. He acts all big and bad. Constantly trying to get a rise out of her and other characters describe him as hard to get along with and short tempered. However, once he got her back to his house the first time he went from antagonistic to 'I will submit to your every desire'. They got in a fight where she was wrong and he is the one who goes belly up first. 

    The romance of this couple is solved during this book, but there is a background plot that continues later into the series. As of now I don't see myself getting any more of the series. This story had its moments where it was fun to read. Mostly the pie fight and the rescue mission. Otherwise I think it was a bust. Unfortunately, even if I had read the synopsis it wouldn't have saved me from the things I didn't like about this book. 

    If you would like to read this book it is available on Amazon for $0.99 by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment