Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Book Review: Jaxson by Alisa Woods (Riverwise Private Security Book 1)

Jaxson (Riverwise Private Security 1) - Wolf Shifter Paranormal Romance by [Alisa Woods]     Jaxson was being pressured to find a mate, but no one could know that he could never have one. Instead, his plan was simple. Stall as long as possible. Get his pack on their feet where they could run without him. Then step down as their alpha. He just didn't know how he was going to stall them until a curvy human was stupid enough to try to "save" him. There is just something about Olivia that draws her to him like a moth to flame. And there is something about Jaxson that Olivia can't help but want to save. 

    I got this book from BookBub in 2017 and am slowly working my way through all of my impulse buys. The Kindle books and audiobooks are basically the only things I have time for right now. I started back to work this week and it feels like I am just going non-stop. Even as I write this I should be in bed. But, with a husband who works third shift and me working first shift plus two kids who just went from constant Mommy Time to barely any Mommy Time the stress is real. My daughter is especially taking it hard. Meltdown crying as soon as I walk in the house until I hold her for a minimum of an hour without putting her down. But, on to the review. 

    I love a good paranormal romance book and have been largely seeking them out when it comes to the eBook I have purchased at one point in time or another. Just been in a mood, I suppose. With Jaxson we have our retired SEAL who is alpha of his pack and harbors a secret about why he can't take a mate and why that is so bad. Then we have Olivia who is basically a marshmallow, but has a dark secret of her own. Which she never actually tells him about. The only one she says it to is her aunt, who already knows. But, whatever. 

    The chemistry is immediate. The sex in the book is decent. Not overdone like in some books where each scene makes you want to sigh and skim. The hero complex is real. But to be honest all through the book I just wanted to know more about Jaxson's brothers. Preferably Jace, but I will take either one of them. Because of that at some point in time or another I will likely get the other books in this series so I find out what happens to the brothers. 

    Nothing really stands out to me as detractors in this book, just overdone stigmas. When I think of detractors all I am thinking of is another book I am currently reading on that I should HOPEFULLY be done with tomorrow. More on that book later. For this book, since I am really getting off topic tonight, the romance is all tied up at the end with a nice little bow. Meanwhile there is a background story that does end with a cliffhanger. The bad guy gets away to pillage another day kind of trope. The story itself is a bit overdone. Guy has a problem and a hatred of a species. Girl is said species. Guy doesn't care because of girl. Girl saves guy. I do have questions as to why she went into foster care after her parents died when she had caring family in town. From my experience children are placed with their closest relative as long as they are willing to take them. And from how the book goes they were willing. 

    For a whirlwind sexy paranormal romance look no further than the pages of this book. You can even get it for free on Amazon by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment