Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Book Review: Edge of Breach by Halo Scot (Rift Cycle Book 1)

Edge of the Breach (Rift Cycle Book 1) by [Halo Scot]    Many years ago the sky split open, creating The Rift. With this came the knowledge that the old gods, such as Ra, are real. Not only are they real and on the other side of this breach, but humans born during the different gods seasons have their powers. Mages, shapeshifters, shields, and healers. Those born on the Summer and Winter solstice have the highest power levels, but it seems those who get those powers are something to behold. 

    Kyder was born during the Summer solstice and is the most powerful mage. Yet he lacks the love he was never shown as a rape baby. Meanwhile his opposite Sira was born during the Winter solstice along with her twin, Syh, but they have terminal cancer. Both blessed with powers unimaginable, yet no hope of using them for good. When they both end up in Zawad who knows what could happen. 

    A story of love, loss, sex, murder, and even shit jokes. Not actually kidding. Ela is...a strange creature, but lovable in her own way. I purchased this book at the suggestion of the author and I have zero regrets. Seriously, yes it took me a long time to get through it, but only because I wasn't willing to give up the story. Yes, yes I am aware there are more than one books in the series, but that doesn't matter. 

    The book jumps in perspectives between Kyder and Rune, so it was expected from the start that they would eventually meet. I don't remember if it was like this throughout the book, but I definitely noticed it a lot towards the end, but the fact that they acknowledge that they are in a book and a story is unfolding is very different and for the most part I enjoyed it. That being said being told by "Kyder" that I liked Vinny and that he reminded me of someone wasn't really my cup of tea. I didn't like Vinny. I suppose that is a bit odd considering my husbands name is Vincent and the first thing I ever referred to him as way back in High School was Vinny. None the less the character didn't remind me of him nor spark any kindredness. 

    In fact, my favorite character was the murderous psychopath. I don't normally choose a main character as my favorite, but when there is detached death around every corner it is hard not to love them. If this hasn't been obvious enough, yes I loved this book and yes you need to get it. 

    This book is currently available on Amazon for only $0.99 by clicking here, but it will return to it's normal price soon. Which means you should get it now! This book is available on Kindle Unlimited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment