Thursday, February 18, 2021

Book Review: Kindred by Nicola Claire (Kindred Book 1)

 Kindred (Kindred, Book 1): A Paranormal Romance Vampire Hunter Series by [Nicola Claire]    Lucinda moved from a farm with her Aunt and Uncle to Auckland, New Zealand and everything changed. She discovered that not only do vampires exist, but that she can sense them. She has become a vampire hunter, killing off those who feed on innocents rather than the willing. There has been an increase in the number of rogue vampires in her city recently and Michel,  the master vampire, seems to know something not only about it, but about what she truly is. But is she ready for that truth? 

    With the revelation comes a choice that she must make within a month after her 25th birthday or face the consequences. But, when another Level One vampire kidnaps her from work in broad daylight trying to force her to join with him the devil she knows quickly becomes the better option. Especially since the attraction that she has always felt for Michel has become a constant thing and her feelings have become more impossible to deny. Hopefully the power that he will gain in their joining will not change the parts of him that she cares for...will it? 

    This is a book that I got back in 2016 as a suggested deal of the day with BookBub and it has just sat on my TBR till now. That being said I am so glad that I read this book as it is really cute and I found myself calling my newborn daughter "ma petite belle". No, this exact sentiment is not in this book, but it is easy enough to piece together. Now, I will let you know that this is not a book that has the translations for foreign languages after they are used. I used the translate function in my Kindle app for a couple and then my own knowledge for some of the others. Thankfully, most of the words used in French are easily understood in English, like the sentiment above. Douce is one I had to look up though. It means sweet, which is pretty cute. 

    Now, as I mentioned I enjoyed this book. It was a fun,  fast read that has a lot of action and mixed feelings in it. The male pursues the female and has a valid argument, but his possessiveness seems rather one sided. I don't mean that she doesn't get jealous. Rather at multiple points he has another female draped over him or calling him pet names and if anyone so much as looks at Luce Michel has his panties in a wad. I suppose it is what it is, though. I can tell you one thing that is not something that would ever fly with me. 

    I do want to give you a bit of a warning if you are an American reader. It was something that threw me for a moment when I first started reading this. This is not an American author. I am not sure where the author is from but the book is set in New Zealand. That itself if interesting, but some of the verbiages are vastly different between here and there. I expected that, but not for some words. They use "septic" instead of "skeptic". I thought it was a typo at first, but it isn't. You learn something new every day. 

    All in all this is a great book and I hope you take the time to enjoy it like I did. This book is available on Amazon for $4.99 or on Kindle Unlimited by clicking here.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment