Thursday, June 30, 2022

Book Review: Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams (Echo Falls Mystery Book 1)

 


    Young, aspiring actress, Ingrid left her shoes at the house of Cracked-Up Katie when she got lost in her home town on her way to soccer practice. The next day Katie is found dead and in an attempt to get her shoes back Ingrid finds herself deep in a web of secrets and town history. Can a 13 year old really solve the truth behind the murder while going to school, soccer, and starring in the town's production of Alice in Wonderland? 

    As I am currently out of physical books from indie authors on my TBR list this is a book I've picked up at one or another thrift store over the years. It had two things that drew me to it: Alice in Wonderland related and a ringing endorsement by Stephen King on the cover. 

    After I read the book I tried, and failed, to track down the full endorsement from King. It said "My all time favorite...astonishing." Trust me when I say I would never use any of those words to describe this book. It is a young adult murder mystery. She gets into things she shouldn't and almost gets herself killed in the process. It is interesting and about what you'd expect out of a young adult book. There is a lot of slang and petty girl fights in it. Unless King was talking about other works by this author, which I will go ahead and state that I haven't personally read any of, I don't know what he was talking about. 

    I'm not saying the book was bad. It wasn't. It was just predictable and didn't meet my hopes for it with the props it was boasting. This book is book one in a series of mysteries featuring this sleepy little town, but at the close of this book everything is tied up with a nice little bow. We know who did it, we know what happened, and all issues presented in the book are resolved. It could easily be a stand-alone book for "Griddie" and her missing cleats. In my mind, I think I will be keeping it as a stand-alone instead of adding the next in the series to my list of books to buy. 

    While I enjoyed the book it wasn't enough to buy the next. On to the other point that drew me to this book: features Alice in Wonderland. It is true that she is in a play and that she has the lead role. Normally, I wouldn't just tell you that since it is a minor spoiler, but considering the author already put it in the blurb it is a non-factor. The production takes many twists and turns and how people actually managed to learn their lines with all of the changes is truly beyond me. Especially in the time-frame. But, I know nothing of acting so I suppose it is possible. Even though the story itself didn't feel as if it were getting "curiouser and curiouser" the familiar setting of the hatter's table brought a smile to my face. 

    My favorite character in this book was Ingrid's grandfather. His take-no-shit attitude and proving that he will truly do whatever he pleases to keep things just how he wants them made me love him. My own grandfather is just the same and no one will ever be able to change that man's mind on anything he doesn't want it changed on. Even now in the end stages of lung cancer he is determined to do house repairs and tend to his doves (literal fan-tails). No matter how many offers to help he receives it's brushed away. Although he won't stop me if I just start doing something. I can be as stubborn as he is. I have to get it from somewhere. Why not the man who raised me? 

    The biggest suspense factor in this book was the underlying family drama in Ingrid's house. She and her brother have so much pressure on them by their parents to be the best at everything just so they can "keep up with the Jonses" or in this case it would be the Findley's. Maybe Farleys. Something with an F. I finished this book almost 2 weeks ago and between covid and other things am only now getting to the review. Then there is what I am certain her father is doing. See if you can spot what I mean when you read the book. 

    This book is available on Amazon for $3.99 by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment