Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Book Review: The Green Girl and the Serum by Sean Armstrong


     After Dr. Young and her partner Dr. Roberts created a serum that could cure cancer there was a side-effect of turning those individuals into Mega-Humans with supernatural powers. While Dr. Young wanted to use this for the military it was largely opposed, especially by the often unwilling participants. The result was Dr. Young dead and two factions of Megas: The Outcasts, that felt they should rule humans because they are superior, and the members of Haven, who want to peacefully live among humans. With each faction fighting for what they want the other side makes it hard for them to achieve their goals. What's more is the two leaders, Ben and Surge were once friends and the Doctor's daughter plays an important role. 

    I agreed to review this book via Kindle Unlimited at the urging of the author. At the time I agreed I did not have Kindle Unlimited because my TBR is always so long that the expense seemed pointless to me and I made sure to let the author know this, repeatedly. But, after being contacted weekly to see if I would be reading the book yet, then daily once I eventually gave in the book was eventually completed. I will not say I didn't take extra time to both read the book and post the review as a direct result of this. I don't like feeling rushed. I do this because I want to, not as a job. I don't get paid for it and this was a Kindle Unlimited read none the less. But I have spoken my piece on that extreme annoyance and will say no more. I will say I finished this story on the 6th. I did not take any stars off my review because of this. It is not the books fault. 

    This book feels like a prequel versus an actual book. We have the establishment of characters, the setting up that Stacey, aka The Green Girl, will eventually be important and play a large role, and we know about the Serum. We know who the big bad is and who the good guys are and we know why they don't like each other. There is a battle, but it feels like a small skirmish. I'm not saying the book is bad or that you shouldn't read it. I am only letting you know that this is the set up for something bigger, so it's best to read it if you are looking to get into a new series. Nothing wrong with that, I find myself adding series to my TBR a little too often sometimes, but that is neither here nor there. 

    I don't know that there is a book 2 on this yet as I was unable to find anything alluding to this on Amazon and the book was released in Sept 2021. I could be wrong, I didn't do extensive digging on it. 

    On to the characters. Both leaders seem to have a very tenuous hold on their power. Stacey is a spoiled brat and I found nothing to like about her in the entire book. The factions characters have basically the same powers with minor twists. I don't know if that is to make them evenly matched, but I felt it took something away since there are so many powers to choose from. At this point I still feel that both sides have a very good chance at "winning" and achieving their goals. Possibly more so on the Outcasts side, but only time will tell. 

    The battles were engaging and not overly long. The chapters in the book are short. All in all it is a decent fantasy read that if you are actually sitting down to read shouldn't take longer than a couple hours. Worth the read if you are looking for a new good versus evil series to start. 

    This book is available on Amazon for $4.13 by clicking here. This book is available on Kindle Unlimited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment